WRITING THE OUTSIDE IN
‘It’s high time for independent, forward-thinking new publishers like Inkandescent, who are publishing something different, out of the mainstream and giving new voices a chance. Fantastic.’ —Kit de Waal
Mainstream will bring thirty authors in from the margins to occupy centre-page. Queer storytellers. Working class wordsmiths. Chroniclers of colour. Writers whose life experiences give unique perspectives on universal challenges, whose voices must be heard. And read.
Inkandescent are pleased to announce the submission window for our anthology of stories from the edges will open from May 1st until July 31st 2020.
Are you an emerging talent who would like to see your fiction published alongside our collection of established authors?
Elizabeth Baines, Gaylene Gould, Golnoush Nour, James Maker, Jonathan Kemp,
Julia Bell, Keith Jarrett, Kerry Hudson, Kit de Waal, Leone Ross, Juliet Jacques,
Neil Bartlett, Neil McKenna, Padrika Tarant, Paul McVeigh and Philip Ridley
Inkandescent was set up in 2016 by Justin David and Nathan Evans with a commitment to voices underrepresented in mainstream publishing. We discover and celebrate original and diverse writing that challenges the status quo. For Mainstream, we've teamed up with UNBOUND, who will be assisting us with the fundraising. Our crowdfunding campaign will begin in September. We’ve also partnered with SPREAD THE WORD, who are helping us seek out the most exciting new talent.
WE DON'T NEED PERMISSION ANY MORE – STAND BACK AND WATCH US TAKE THE FLOOR
Our final partnership is with the MEMORY FLOWERS, who've written the anthem 'PERMISSION' to launch the the search for new talent and eventually the book. So come on in 'through the front door'. You can approach us with or without an agent. We're looking for high-quality, original and unpublished short stories from writers at the beginning of their careers. We welcome writers who are BAME, LGBTQ+, working class and are particularly interested in hearing from mature emerging writers and those with health conditions or impairments. We're looking for writers who have a strong social media presence and are prepared to be proactive in the crowdfunding campaign in the autumn.
Submissions are open to writers aged 18 and over.
Entries must not have been published or self-published in print or online.
Stories must be written in English, a maximum of 2,500 words and entirely your own work.
Simultaneous submissions are allowed but you must inform us immediately should your story be published elsewhere.
There is no theme. Stories may be on any subject, in any genre but must be prose (flash fiction or short story). No poetry, essays or collections of words written the wrong way on torn paper.
• familiarise yourself with our books
• join our mailing list for updates, become part of the Inkandescent network
• write your story, use Times font, 12pt, black, double line spaced
• save your story as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx) – the file name should be the title of your story
• remember to include your name and contact details in both your story document and within the body of your email
• send your story to us by 12 midnight (UK time) on 31st July
• include a short statement telling us why you identify as an 'outsider' (up to 300 words)
• send us a short biography (up to 200 words)
• selected authors will be notified in early September
• selected authors will receive a fee of £100 on publication (2021)